The road to the top of Jebel Hafeet serpentines its way up the mountainside, making for an incredibly curvy and picturesque journey. An intricate cave system winds its way through the mountain, which has led to some exciting cultural and fossilized discoveries. And located in Jebel Hafeet’s foothills are the remains of more than 500 ancient burial grounds—some dating back 5,000 years.
The mountain's unusual landscape was forged out of limestone weathered after millions of years, and provides a backdrop for many avid cyclists. The highway leading to the top of the mountain has also been described as one of the world’s best roads to drive on.
Things to Know Before You Go
- There are a few places to grab a bite to eat, as well as a hotel near the top of the mountain.
- Public parking is available at the peak.
- Make sure to bring your camera and take pictures at various scenic rest stops on your way up the mountain.
- Jebel Hafeet is a popular destination for picnics and hiking.
- Bring a warm layer of clothing with you as temperatures can be cooler at the peak.
How to Get There
You can only access Jebel Hafeet by private car, taxi, or bicycle. No public transportation is allowed up the mountain. It is roughly a 40-minute drive from Al Ain, and almost a 2 hour drive from Abu Dhabi. Most tours to Al Ain include a stop at Jebel Hafeet.
When to Get There
For fewer people consider visiting Jebel Hafeet during the week, or set out on your drive early in the morning or later in the day to catch a desert sunrise or sunset. During the summertime, visit the mountain in the morning or evening to avoid the desert heat.
Al Ain Oasis This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a sprawling oasis in the heart of Al Ain. With its relaxing shaded paths, curated gardens, and education center, spread out over 3,000 acres (1,200 hectares), the Al Ain Oasis is a respite from the city.
- Things to do in Dubai
- Things to do in Sharjah
- Things to do in Umm Al Quwain
- Things to do in Ras Al Khaimah
- Things to do in Doha
- Things to do in Manama
- Things to do in Muscat
- Things to do in Salalah
- Things to do in Gujarat
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Kuwait City
- Things to do in Red Sea
- Things to do in West Bank
- Things to do in Maharashtra