Little Palace Museum (Musée du Petit Palais)
The Musée du Petit Palais (or the Little Palace Museum) originally served as a bishops’ and archbishops’ palace during the 14th and 15th centuries. It was originally built for Cardinal Béranger de Frédol between 1318 and 1320, and Pope Benoît made it his clerical headquarters after the palace underwent extensive renovations.
Today, the palace houses an impressive collection of frescoes, sculptures and Italian religious paintings spanning the 13th to 16th centuries. These include prominent works by Botticelli, Carpaccio and Giovanni di Paolo. One of the most famous painting housed there is Botticelli’sVirgin and Child. There are also a handful of Renaissance paintings of the Avignon school.