Sri Mariamman Temple
The Sri Mariamman Temple is a working temple, and every day Hindu devotees leave offerings of flowers and fruit. It’s built in a South Indian architectural style, with a 19-foot (6-meter) gopuram, or tower, carved with images of Hindu gods and goddesses and painted bright colors. Inside are three main sanctuaries devoted to the gods Ganesh, Kartik, and Mariamman—the Tamil goddess of nature. Visit independently or on a private tour of Hindu landmarks.
Things to Know Before You Go
Men and women should dress modestly while visiting the temple, with knees and shoulders covered.
Be respectful of worshippers and do not photograph people who have come to perform their religious ceremonies.
Stalls selling flowers, coconuts, and other items are lined up outside. While these are intended for Hindus to give as religious offerings, anyone is welcome to purchase and enjoy them.
How to Get There
The best way to reach the temple is to take a taxi. Alternatively, take the BTS train to Surasak station, on the Silom line, and walk to the temple from there.
When to Get There
While the temple is open all day, it tends to be busiest early in the morning and at dusk, when devotees come to performpuja (worship ceremonies). It’s especially crowded and lively during Deepavali (the Hindu festival of lights), which is usually held in November.
Visit the Erawan Shrine
Although Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country, many Hindu deities are also worshipped by Thai Buddhists, and there are crossovers between the two religious traditions. These can be seen at Bangkok’s famous Erawan Shrine, which is dedicated to Lord Brahma, the Hindu god of creation. It’s a glittering, colorful temple that’s definitely worth visiting.
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Rajadamnern Stadium
- Sky Bar
- Bang Rak
- Snake Farm (Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute)
- Temple of the Golden Buddha (Wat Traimit)
- Bangkok Chinatown (Yaowarat)
- MBK Center
- Siam Square
- BTS Skytrain (Bangkok Mass Transit System)
- Line Village Bangkok
- Madame Tussauds Bangkok
- SEA LIFE® Bangkok Ocean World
- Lumpini Park (Lumphini Park)
- Jim Thompson House Museum
- Sampeng Market