Placa de Sant Felip Neri
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri was built on the site of an ancient cemetery, Montjuïc del Bisbe. On one side, find the buildings that once housed the coppersmiths’ and shoemakers’ guilds, reconstructed from their former locations elsewhere in the city. The square is also home to the 18th-century Church of Sant Felip Neri, which still bears the scars from a 1938 bombing raid that killed 42 people, mostly children, who took refuge here during the Spanish Civil War.
It’s easiest to explore the somewhat-hard-to-find Plaça de Felip Neri on a guided walking tour of the Gothic Quarter, which can be combined with a sightseeing tour of other city attractions, including La Sagrada Familia and Park Güell. Or opt for a hop-on hop-off bus tour to explore Barcelona at your leisure.
Things to Know Before You Go
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri is pedestrian-only.
There is a school located at the square.
Enjoy a meal or drinks at the Terrace of the Hotel Neri, located right on the square.
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Plaça Sant de Felip Neri is located in the Gothic Quarter. To get there, head to Carrer de Sant Sever, then turn right onto Carrer de Sant Felip Neri. The nearest metro stations are Jaume I on line 4 and Liceu on line 3, and buses 45, 59, 91, 120, and the hop-on hop-off tourist bus also stop nearby.
When to Get There
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri, where street musicians sometimes perform, can be visited at any time and offers a nice break from exploring the rest of the Gothic Quarter. The Church of Sant Felip Neri is only open for visits occasionally. The Terrace at the Hotel Neri is open for dinner service during the week and all day during the weekend.
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri on the Big Screen
Plaça de Sant Felip Neri has appeared in a few movies, includingVicky Cristina Barcelona andPerfume: The Story of a Murderer. It also appeared in the music video for “My Immortal” by the band Evanescence.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Barcelona Cathedral (Catedral de Barcelona)
- Catalan Regional Government Building (Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya)
- Basilica of Santa Maria del Pi
- St. James Square (Plaça de Sant Jaume)
- Temple of Augustus (Temple d'August)
- Frederic Mares Museum (Museu Frederic Mares)
- Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic)
- Barcelona City Hall (Casa de la Ciutat)
- Via Sepulcral Romana
- Barcelona City History Museum (MUHBA)
- Erotic Museum of Barcelona (Museu de l'Erotica)
- Els Quatre Gats
- La Boqueria Market (Mercat de la Boqueria)
- Placa del Rei
- Teatre Poliorama