Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
The monument is adorned with an intricate bronze statue representing Lady Liberty breaking free of her shackles. At the base of the column stands a colossal fountain and two basins, with dramatic bronze sculptures of charging horses, each signifying a different aspect of modern French society. The south-facing side honors the “Triumph of the Republic,”, while the north-facing side is dedicated to the “Triumph of the Concord.” Some guided city tours pass by the monument.
Things to know before you go
- The Place des Quinconces is wheelchair- and stroller-friendly.
- Note that the Place is open without much shade, so bring a hat if you're visiting in the height of summer.
- The Places des Quinconces has restrooms and a tourist office with English-speaking staff.
How to get there
The Monument aux Girondins is located in the historic center of Bordeaux at the Place des Quinconces, right by Quai Louis XVII along the Garonne River. It is accessible on foot, by tram via Route B or C (stop Quinconces), or by car. The nearest parking lot is Parking Tourny, situated on Allée de Tourny.
When to get there
The monument can be viewed day or night, though if you're planning to linger in the Place des Quinconces, you'll find the weather is most agreeable from late April through October. Note that summers can still get quite hot and some shops are likely to be closed in August, when French people tend to take their summer vacations. A variety of events take place here throughout the year, including a Christmas market every December.
The Place des Quinconces
Most people don’t come to the Place des Quinconces just to see the monument, and it’s worth spending some time exploring the square. Here you'll find lots of room to roam about, with benches, walkways, and statues of Montaigne and Montesquieu.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
- Quai Louis XVIII
- Port of the Moon (Port de la Lune)
- Grand Theatre
- Port of Bordeaux
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
- Porte Cailhau
- Place Gambetta
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Palais Gallien
- Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux)
- Museum of Aquitaine (Musée d'Aquitaine)
- Saint-Seurin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Seurin)