Quinconces Square (Place des Quinconces)
No sightseeing tour of Bordeaux would be complete without a stop at Quinconces Square. Located a short stroll from the Golden Triangle, Place de la Comédie, and Rue Sainte-Catherine, it’s also a strategic starting point for a walking tour. There are plenty of other ways to get around; you can join a Bordeaux Segway tour, cycle the city on an electric bike, or enjoy a self-guided tour by electric car.
Things to Know Before You Go
There are no public amenities in Quinconces Square itself, but there are a number of bars and restaurants just south.
Bordeaux’s main tourist information office is located at the southwest corner of the square and has restrooms and free Wi-Fi.
Quinconces Square is easily accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Quinconces Square, located between Quai Louis XVIII and Place Tourny in central Bordeaux, is within walking distance of many central attractions. A number of bus routes and tram lines (B and C) pass by the square, and there’s a large car park at the northern end of the square.
When to Get There
The most atmospheric time to visit Quinconces Square is during its many seasonal events and festivals. There’s something happening almost every weekend, including a summer funfair, a large Christmas market, sporting events, and arts and crafts fairs.
Monuments of Quinconces Square
The Monument to the Girondins, located at the western end of Quinconces Square, was built to honor the Girondists who were executed during the French Revolution. Today it’s a striking sight to behold, with bronze horses and warriors surrounding a central column, all crowned with a statue of liberty. Other monuments of interest include statues dedicated to the Bordeaux philosophers Montaigne and Montesquieu, as well as rostral columns that symbolize the city’s maritime and commercial prowess.
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Girondins Monument (Monument aux Girondins)
- Grand Theatre
- Quai Louis XVIII
- Port of the Moon (Port de la Lune)
- Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Port of Bordeaux
- Place de la Bourse (Place Royale)
- Place Gambetta
- Palais Gallien
- Porte Cailhau
- Saint-Seurin Basilica (Basilique Saint-Seurin)
- Bordeaux Hôtel de Ville (Palais Rohan)
- Bordeaux Cathedral (Cathédrale St. André)
- Bordeaux Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts de Bordeaux)
- Bordeaux Wine and Trade Museum (Musée du Vin et du Négoce de Bordeaux)