Massachusetts State House
Newcomers to the city of Boston often refer to it as “the city of history” because while walking along the Freedom Trail, you encounter so many important historical points—points that were instrumental in the founding of America. It makes for an incredible walk through time, and one of the highlights on this Freedom Trail is a visit to the Massachusetts State House.
Built in 1788, the “new” Massachusetts State House is built across from the Boston Common on the top of Beacon Hill. Known far and wide for its gilded gold dome (it’s actually made of wood and copper, but topped with 24-karat gold), the State House symbolizes what the founding fathers had envisioned upon landing at Plymouth Rock – to build a city upon a hill. Inside, the working State House houses working government officials, beautiful murals depicting colonial times of war, spacious marble-filled corridors, and other historical items that reflect the heritage of the Boston area – a pinecone high atop the dome pays homage to Boston’s logging industry, and the “Sacred Cod” is a nod to the fishing industry—both paragons of the early industry that made Boston one of the most influential cities in America.
Tours and tickets to Experience Massachusetts State House
What are Massachusetts State House hours of operation?
Should I book Massachusetts State House tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Massachusetts State House 2021?
What's the best way to experience Massachusetts State House?
- Boston Sightseeing Trolley Tour with 1 Stop
- Boston's Beacon Hill Guided Photography Walking (Small Group)
- Boston Small-Group Food & History North End Freedom Trail Walking Tour
- Boston Private City Tour
Things to do near Boston
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in New Haven
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Newark
- Things to do in Montreal
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Amboseli National Park
- Things to do in Quebec City
- Things to do in Ottawa
- Things to do in Baltimore
- Things to do in Connecticut
- Things to do in New York