Explore the lavish State Rooms, designed by Alphonse Balat for King Leopold II, and marvel at the grand marble staircase, glittering chandeliers, and opulent furnishings. Highlights include the Goya Room, with its striking Goya-inspired tapestries; the Mirror Room, with its jeweled ceiling; the Empire Room ballroom; and the dazzling Throne Room.
Most Brussels sightseeing tours stop to admire the Brussels Royal Palace facade, while independent visitors can explore at their own pace on a hop-on hop-off tour or enjoy a walking tour of the surrounding Parc de Bruxelles. Guided tours of the palace are also possible during the annual summer opening.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Brussels Royal Palace is a must-see for any first-time visitor or history buff in Belgium.
Visits to the palace during the summer opening are free, but only possible as part of an official guided tour.
The palace is fully accessible for wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The palace is located on Place de Palais at the south side of the Parc de Bruxelles (Brussels Park), about 1 mile (1.3 kilometers) southeast of downtown Brussels. Trams 92, 93, and 94 all pass the palace, while the nearest metro stations are Trone and Parc. Hop-on hop-off buses also stop nearby, while walking tours typically pass the palace.
When to Get There
It’s possible to admire the palace exteriors all year round, but the Royal Palace opens its doors to the public each summer, from the National Holiday on July 21 to September, when it’s open daily except Mondays.
Other Beautiful Brussels Buildings
The Brussels Royal Palace is beautiful inside and out, but the Belgium capital has plenty more architectural delights up its sleeve. The steel-and-glass Musical Instrument Museum is an example of Brussels' art nouveau leanings, as is the Maison Saint Cyr. For something a bit more modern, the Atomium—a futuristic metal structure—is also worth a visit.
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Paris
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- BELvue Museum
- Coudenberg (Former Palace of Brussels)
- Magritte Museum (Musée Magritte)
- Musical Instruments Museum
- Sablon District
- Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium
- Museum of the Turn of the Century (Musée Fin-de-Siècle)
- Grand Sablon Square (Place du Grand Sablon)
- MOOF Museum
- St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral
- Hard Rock Cafe Brussels
- Royal Galleries of Saint Hubert (Les Galeries St-Hubert)
- Grand-Place (Grote Markt)
- Brussels City Museum (Musée de la Ville de Bruxelles)
- Brussels Town Hall (Hotel de Ville)