Things to Do in Cabarete
Read MoreShow Less
The Dominican beach town of Cabarete is one of the top destinations in the world for windsurfing, kitesurfing, and surfing. Far from its roots as a sleepy fishing village, Cabarete today is a sophisticated destination that attracts water-sports enthusiasts from all over who come to play in the bay and enjoy the town’s top-notch resorts and restaurants and lively nightlife.
A combination of trade winds, low-lying hills, and an offshore coral reef come together here to create consistently good water-sports conditions, and over the past 25 years Cabarete has developed into a world-class water-sports destination.
Many tours in Cabarete revolve around the water, with kiteboarding and surfing lessons popular options. Kiteboarding equipment is also available to rent for those who want to strike out independently. Away from the water, some tours include horseback riding and ziplining through the interior jungle.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Cabarete is a must for active travelers and water-sports enthusiasts.
- Water-sports equipment and lessons can be arranged in advance or by visiting surf shops in Cabarete town.
- The official currency in the Dominican Republic is the Dominican peso, but American dollars are widely accepted.
How to Get There
Cabarete is located on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, 24 miles (38 kilometers) east of Puerto Plata International Airport. From the airport, you can rent a car or take a taxi or bus to Cabarete town.
When to Get There
High season for kite- and windsurfing is June through August, while surfers will find the best waves from November to March. The Dominican Republic is inside the hurricane belt, which means storms are possible from June to November, and more likely in September and October.
A 15-minute drive west from Cabarete, Sosúa Beach is one of the Dominican Republic’s most popular spots for diving and snorkeling. You can join a snorkeling boat tour with equipment provided or rent directly from shops at the beach. When you’re done exploring, relax in the shade under a tree and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Rincón
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Isla Verde
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Cruz Bay
- Things to do in St Martin
- Things to do in St Maarten
- Things to do in New Providence Island