In 1920, the works were moved from Town Hall to the fortress-like castle built by the monks of Lérins in the 17th century. Central to the collections are artworks and artifacts donated by a 19th-century Dutch aristocrat, Baron Tinco Martinus Lycklama. Highlights include rare Persian objects and paintings from the 1st era of the Qajars; primitive arts from the Himalayas, the Arctic, Oceania, and pre-Columbian America; and 19th-century landscape paintings.xa0
Go to the Saint Anne Chapel to see an impressive collection of musical instruments from all over the world. From there, take the steps to the top of the square tower for a wonderful 360-degree view of the city and coast below.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Castre Museum is the ideal spot for art lovers and ethnographers.
- Displays are in French only.
- The climb to the top of the tower is 109 steps.
- For security reasons, bulky luggage is forbidden in the museum.
- The museum is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Castre Museum is located in Le Suquet, Cannes’s historic old town, at the top of the hill. From La Croisette, it’s a lovely walk. If driving, there is a parking garage nearby along Rue Georges Clemenceau at the base of Le Suquet.
When to Get There
Hours change upon the season. Throughout the year, except for July and August, Castre Museum is closed Mondays. In July, Le Suquet hosts special outdoor concerts (Nuits Musicales du Suquet). High season is during the summer and in May for the Cannes Film Festival and the Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix. Come in the fall when the weather is warm and the crowds are few.
Le Suquet After the Romans built this soaring fortified settlement to defend against the Saracens, Le Suquet was taken over by monks in the 12th century. These days, the neighborhood is one of the most visited in the city. Wander through the winding and very narrow cobblestone streets decorated with pretty flower boxes and flowering trees and filled with cafés, restaurants, and shops.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Le Suquet
- Port of Cannes (Port de Cannes)
- Palais des Festivals et des Congrès
- La Croisette Boulevard (Boulevard de la Croisette)
- Chapelle Bellini
- Île Sainte-Marguerite
- International Perfume Museum (Musée International de la Parfumerie)
- Gorges du Loup
- Fort du Mont Alban
- Massif des Maures
- Port Grimaud
- Verdon Gorge (Gorges du Verdon)
- L'Occitane Factory