Chapelle Bellini is on the old Villa Fiorentina estate, an Italian-style 19th-century villa with Tuscan terraced gardens. The Baroque chapel was built by Count Phillippe Vitali, and converted into a studio in the 1950s by local painter and architect Emmanuel Bellini. After his death, the artist’s daughter made it into a museum for his work.
An architectural delight, the chapel features a highly embellished peach and white facade, a clock tower, and an impressive gallery with a restored wooden staircase. The interior displays Bellini’s colorful figurative paintings, inspired by the Fauvist and Modern Expressionism movements, as well as posters and cartoons. His daughter, also an artist, lives in the chapel and will show you around.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Chapelle Bellini is an ideal spot for architecture and art lovers.
- The opening hours are short, though it’s possible to see the chapel’s exterior from the street.
- The chapel is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Chapelle Bellini is located along Avenue de Vallauris within Fiorentina Park in Cannes. From the beach or La Croisette, expect about a ten-minute drive away from the sea.
When to Get There
Chapelle Bellini is open during the week for a couple hours in the afternoon, typically 3pm toxa0 5pm. Cannes is a pleasant place to visit any time of the year. The perfect time is early fall, as the weather is still warm and the crowds are few. High season is during the summer and in May when both the Cannes Film Festival and the Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix take over the Riviera.
Less than a 10-minute drive north is another compact museum dedicated to local artists. A major artist of the 19th and 20th centuries, Pierre Bonnardxa0 was a post-impressionist painter and illustrator, and founding member of the avant-garde group Les Nabis. The museum is housed in a Belle Epoque mansion in Le Cannet, a town whose gorgeous landscapes and perfect light aroused Bonnard’s creative muses for nearly 22 years.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- La Croisette Boulevard (Boulevard de la Croisette)
- Palais des Festivals et des Congrès
- Castre Museum (Musée de la Castre)
- Port of Cannes (Port de Cannes)
- Le Suquet
- Île Sainte-Marguerite
- International Perfume Museum (Musée International de la Parfumerie)
- Gorges du Loup
- Fort du Mont Alban
- Massif des Maures
- Port Grimaud
- Verdon Gorge (Gorges du Verdon)
- L'Occitane Factory