Zoo del Pirineu (Pyrenees Zoo)
With Pyrenees peaks as a backdrop, the Pyrenees Zoo showcases birds and animals of the region in wide-open spaces. Meet the animals, watch the birds of prey show, and visit the petting zoo. To ensure entry, prebook tickets that best suit you—some include zoo access only, or add in petting zoo access and a guided tour. Certain activities, such as the birds of prey show and guided tour, are only available in peak season.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Zoo del Pirineu is a must for bird-lovers and a great choice for families with kids.
It's best to book in advance no matter when you visit, but especially when local schools are in session and in winter.
The zoo has facilities for visitors with visual impairments and travelers who rely on wheelchairs.
There are discounts for children and seniors, while kids under 3 go free.
How to Get There
It's easy to visit Zoo del Pirineu independently, self-driving from surrounding areas, such as Andorra, Solsona, and Lleida. Zoo del Pirineu sits in the Catalan Pyrenees, near the town of Odèn, about two hours’ drive (88 miles or 141 kilometers) north of Barcelona. There’s no public transport.
When to Get There
Zoo del Pirineu is open from morning to early evening, seven days a week. In winter (December through February), the twice-daily free-flying birds of prey show is not available, and advance reservations are required for all activities—including an observation-based falconry workshop.
Birds of Prey at the Zoo del Pirineu
Zoo del Pirineu’s signature attraction is the free-flying birds of prey show, which highlights the Pyrenees’ wealth of bird life. Birds in the zoo’s collection include the griffon vulture, with a wingspan that can reach 8 feet (2.5 meters) or more, scops owls, long-eared and short-eared owls, and sea eagles.
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Costa Blanca
- Salt Mountain Cultural Park (El Parque Cultural de la Montana de Sal)
- Cardona Castle (Castell de Cardona)
- La Molina
- St. Benet Monastery (Món Sant Benet)
- Oller del Mas
- Montserrat Mountain
- L'Escolania de Montserrat
- Sant Joan Funicular Railway
- Sant Sadurni d'Anoia
- La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park (Parque Natural de la Zona Volcánica de la Garrotxa)
- Freixenet Winery (Celler Freixenet)
- Bodegas Torres
- Castellfollit de la Roca