Biotopo del Quetzal Tours and Activities
The Biotopo Mario Dary Rivera Nature Reserve, commonly referred to as Biotopo del Quetzal, is one of Guatemala’s best nature sites. It gets its name from the country’s national bird, the endangered Quetzal, which has found a home within the sanctuary.
Quetzals are rather elusive within Biotopo del Quetzal, but they are sometimes spotted near local restaurants, as they prefer to feast on avocado-like fruits from neighboring aguacatillo trees. Some say December and January are the prime months to spot them; keep your eyes open for birds with bright-red chests; green, fuzzy feathers on their heads; and exotic, long tail feathers.
If you don’t manage to spot one, there is still plenty to see at Biotopo del Quetzal. Despite the fact that only a small portion of the vast reserve is open to visitors, there are a number of different mosses, ferns, orchids and epiphytes to see, as well as other birds, including the emerald toucanet and highland guan. Howler monkeys and other wildlife also make their homes in the reserve.
Two trails begin at Biotopo del Quetzal’s visitor center, branching off into the vegetation. The first trail, Los Helechos, is shorter at 1.24 miles (2 km), while Los Musgos (The Mosses) is twice that length. Whether you opt for the shorter or the longer trail, you will pass by scenic waterfalls where you can stop and enjoy a quick swim.
Tours and Activities to Experience Biotopo del Quetzal
Frequently Asked Questions
- 3-Day Tour of Cobán and Semuc Champey from Antigua
- 3-Day Tour of Cobán and Semuc Champey from Guatemala City
- Semuc Champey, Copan, Quirigua and Rio Dulce Tour
- Private Full-Day El Quetzal Birdwatching Experience from Cobán
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast