Discovery Place Science
Enjoy a range of exhibits designed to inspire and delight. Learn how different things work in Explore More Stuff, a hands-on learning lab. Design and see your creations come to life in Thinker Space. Learn about the human body through real anatomical specimens and virtual reality in Being Me. Watch a variety of experiments and explore the aquarium and Charlotte’s only indoor rainforest through daily live shows. Or immerse yourself on films on a variety of topics in the IMAX Dome Theatre. There’s a dedicated space for toddlers and adult-only after hour programs are held from time to time.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Book your ticket online to skip the lines.
- IMAX movies, and certain exhibits, require an additional charge.
- There’s a café and gift shop on-site.
- Discovery Place Science is accessible to visitors with disabilities, and provides services to guests with visual, hearing, or mobility impairments.
How to Get There
Discovery Place Science is located in Uptown Charlotte, at the corner of Church and 6th streets. Paid parking is located next door to the venue. It’s also accessible by the LYNX Light Rail system, with the closest stop at 7th Street.
When to Get There
Discovery Place Science is open daily, with holiday closures for Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. It can get busy on weekends, and on Fridays during the school year. Visit Monday through Wednesdays in the late afternoon for smaller crowds.
Discovery Place Nature Discovery Place also operates Discovery Place Nature in Charlotte. Located next to Freedom Park, Discovery Place Nature encourages learning and interest in animals and the natural world, and offers nature trails, live animals, interactive exhibits and activities, and live shows and educational programs.
- Old Settlers’ Cemetery
- Fourth Ward
- Levine Center for the Arts
- The Green
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts & Culture
- Bank of America Stadium
- Historic Rosedale Plantation
- Freedom Park
- Mint Museum of Art
- Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary
- Independence Square
- UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens
- US National Whitewater Center