Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts & Culture
The center’s permanent collections features works from the John and Vivian Hewitt Collection of African-American Art, which includes more than 50 works by 20 artists, including Charlotte native Romare Bearden, Hale Woodruff, Jonathan Green, and Elizabeth Catlett. The center also hosts rotating exhibitions and lectures, demonstrations, and classes across a range of mediums, such as photography, sculpture, film, dance, music, poetry, and more. Join a guided tour to learn more about the center’s collections, its mission, and the architecture of the modern 4-story building.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A separate fee is required for certain special exhibits and events.
- Photos are only allowed in the Grand Lobby, Performance Suite, and Rooftop Terrace. Flashes, tripods, monopods, and video cameras are not allowed.
- The center is wheelchair accessibles, and wheelchairs are available.
How to Get There
The center is located in the southern quarter of Uptown Charlotte. It’s easily accessible by public transportation. The closest LYNX station is Stonewall Street on the Blue Line. A number of buses also stop nearby. The center offers discounted parking at several nearby parking lots.
When to Get There
The center is open from Tuesdays to Sundays, with extended hours on Wednesdays. Holiday closures include Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. Check the website for a schedule of different events and special exhibits.
Levine Center for the Art's
The Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture is one of four institutions that comprise the Levine Center for the Arts. Explore a collection of more than 1,400 pieces of modern art at the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art; browse through the Mint Museum Uptown’s collection of American, European, and Contemporary art, and its renowned Craft + Design collection; or enjoy a symphony, opera, or theater performance at the James L. Knight Theater.
- The Green
- Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
- Levine Center for the Arts
- Bank of America Stadium
- Old Settlers’ Cemetery
- Carolinas Aviation Museum
- Discovery Place Science
- Discovery Place Nature (Charlotte Nature Museum)
- Fourth Ward
- Freedom Park
- Mint Museum of Art
- Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary
- Historic Rosedale Plantation
- Independence Square
- UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens