San Gervasio Mayan Ruins
Stroll through the sacred gardens of the goddess Ixchel, explore the large Ka’na Nah building, and visit nearby cenotes (natural swimming holes). Most Cozumel island tours visit the San Gervasio ruins, along with other local attractions such as a tequila factory and a chocolate factory. Some combo tours allow you to see the ruins via dune buggy and may include a snorkeling or beach excursion as well. Private and small-group tour options are available.
Things to Know Before You Go
The San Gervasio ruins are a must-see for culture and history buffs.
The ruins are spread throughout the jungle, so plan to do plenty of walking.
It’s a good idea to bring strong mosquito repellent.
How to Get There
The San Gervasio ruins are located toward the center of the island, roughly 20 minutes by road from San Miguel, Cozumel’s only city. Taxis, rental cars, and scooters are good ways to travel on the island.
When to Get There
You can visit the ruins year-round but the site is busiest from December through April, when the weather tends to be sunny and warm. There are fewer crowds during hurricane season (May through October), but be sure to check the weather for storms.
Must-See Ruins on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula
The Quintana Roo region is full of Maya history. The Tulum archaeological site lies one hour by road from Playa del Carmen and two hours by road from Cancun, and contains the remnants of an ancient port city. Nearby, the ruins at Coba contain a massive 138-foot-high (42-meter-high) stone pyramid. Further inland, the ruins of Chichen Itza are home to a similarly massive step pyramid dubbed El Castillo.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Royal Castle (Castillo Real)
- Tormentos Reef
- Cozumel Cruise Port
- Paradise Reef (Paraíso Reef)
- Plaza del Sol
- Cozumel Museum (Museo de la Isla de Cozumel)
- Santa Rosa Wall
- Punta Sur Eco Beach Park (Faro Celerain Ecological Reserve)
- Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park
- Playa Uvas Beach Club
- El Cedral
- Cozumel Reefs National Marine Park
- Columbia Reef
- Discover Mexico Park Cozumel
- El Mirador Lookout