Colorado State Capitol Building
You can visit the capitol building to see the government in action and learn about the construction and history of the building on a guided tour. To incorporate a visit to the capitol alongside other Denver attractions, join a guided sightseeing tour. Make your exploration of the city an adventure with a group scavenger hunt that reveals the hidden side of the city and capitol building.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The capitol building is a must-visit for history and architecture buffs.
- Individual walk-ins are welcome on historic tours but groups must book in advance.
- Reservations are required for student legislative tours (offered late August through early May.)
- There is a cafeteria in the building’s basement and souvenirs can be purchased on the first floor.
How to Get There
The Colorado State Capitol sits at the east end of Civic Center Park on the edge of downtown Denver. If you are coming from outside the city you can reach the building by car, bus, or light rail. The nearest light rail station is the Civic Center Station, located one block from the capitol. The building is also within walking or biking distance of much of downtown Denver.
When to Get There
The capitol building is open to the public year round from 7:30am–5pm Monday through Friday and closed on the weekends and most government holidays. To join a free historic tour, visit from 10am–3pm, Monday through Friday. Tours begin every hour.
Mr. Brown’s Attic at the Colorado State Capitol Tucked between the third floor and the dome, Mr. Brown’s Attic is a museum dedicated to Colorado history, the legislative process, and the story of the capitol’s construction. Interactive exhibits entertain and educate kids in a children specific area. The museum is dedicated to Henry C. Brown who donated the land where the capitol building sits. Tours to the attic also include access to the dome’s observation area via a 99-step climb.
- Things to do in Colorado
- Things to do in Fort Collins
- Things to do in Breckenridge
- Things to do in Colorado Springs
- Things to do in Vail
- Things to do in Aspen
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Utah
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Missouri