Besides chain fashion outlets, you’ll find a few local shops selling Scottish handcrafts that make good souvenirs. The spacious Ocean Terminal also includes a spa, gym, indoor playground, and 12-screen movie theater. The main draw for many visitors is the Royal Yacht Britannia, which was the queen’s floating palace for more than 40 years.
To save time at the entrance to the Royal Yacht Britannia, buy your ticket online in advance, and explore Britannia’s five decks with the complimentary audio guide. Highlights include the State Apartments, the Royal Bedrooms, and the gleaming Engine Room.
Things to Know Before You Go
Ocean Terminal and the Royal Yacht Britannia are wheelchair-accessible.
Visitors can borrow wheelchairs and scooters for free from the customer service desk on Ocean Terminal’s ground floor.
Free Wi-Fi is available throughout Ocean Terminal.
The Royal Yacht Britannia’s gift shop is located on Ocean Terminal’s second floor.
How to Get There
Buses run frequently from Edinburgh’s city center and stop in front of Ocean Terminal—the journey takes around 25 minutes on routes 11, 22, 34, 35, and 36. Walking from the city center takes around 50 minutes. If you’re driving, follow the road signs to Leith/North Edinburgh, then the brown tourist signs to Britannia. Plenty of free parking is available at Ocean Terminal.
When to Get There
Ocean Terminal is open every day. Hours of the terminal and its individual shops and facilities vary depending on the day, so check the terminal’s website before going.
Royal Deck Tea Room
While on the Royal Yacht Britannia, don’t forget to stop by the Royal Deck Tea Room. Enjoy a light meal or a sumptuous Champagne cream tea in the very place where the royal family played deck games and entertained guests. Access is available to yacht visitors only.
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Royal Yacht Britannia (HMY Britannia)
- Edinburgh Cruise Port at Leith
- Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
- Calton Hill
- Nelson Monument
- Scottish National Portrait Gallery
- Scottish Parliament
- Museum of Edinburgh (Huntly House)
- Scott Monument
- The Canongate
- John Knox House
- Edinburgh Dungeon
- Royal Scottish Academy
- Edinburgh Old Town
- Scottish National Gallery