Actún Can Caves Tours and Activities
The limestone bedrock beneath the Petén has been carved by water into beautiful caverns, several of which can be visited. The most impressive and convenient in the Petén are just minutes from Flores.
The Aktún Can Caves, also called La Cueva de la Serpiente (“Cave of the Serpent,” in Mayan and Spanish, respectively) may have once been home to a giant snake, or were perhaps a shrine to a Mayan snake deity. A sign at the entrance assures visitors that there are currently no snakes on the premises.
Instead, visitors will find an underground waterfall, as well as stalactites, stalagmites, and other unusual rock formations with names that are an excellent clue as to what they supposedly resemble: “The Thinker;” “Elephant Foot;” “The Stone Rose;” “God of the Rain;” “Virgen de la Grotto;” and many more. It’s a dark, cool, relaxed way to pass a couple of hours.
Tours and Activities to Experience Actún Can Caves
No results found.How about something else?See all Flores tours
- Things to do in Petén
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands