Petén Forest Tours
Read MoreShow Less
In the northeast region of Guatemala, Petén Forest is made up of dense swamp and jungle habitats connected via a chain of lakes, 40 percent of which is within the protected Maya Biosphere Reserve. The forest is home to dozens of Maya archaeological sites, and the highlight for most visitors is a trip to the impressive ruins of Tikal.
Petén Forest attracts adventurous nature lovers with a wide variety of ecotourism activities, including ziplining, hiking, and visiting Maya ruins. Birds such as toucans, hummingbirds, and hawks are common, as are ocelots, jaguars, spider and howler monkeys, and hundreds more colorful reptile and insect species.
Most visitors explore the forest as part of a tour from the town of Flores. Another hub from which to visit the area is Lake Petén Itzá.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Guatemala’s Petén Forest is a must-see for nature, wildlife, and Maya archaeology lovers.
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces, and bring mosquito repellent and a light rain jacket.
- Set aside time to visit the Maya ruins of Tikal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
How to Get There
The Petén region of Guatemala is bordered by Belize on the east and by Mexico on the north and west. You can reach its capital, Flores—which serves as the jumping off point for Petén Forest tours and day trips to the Tikal ruins—via Guatemala City by bus or plane.
When to Get There
You can visit the Petén Forest year-round, however the best time to go is between November and April, when rainfall is at its lowest. To avoid the crowds at Tikal, visit during the rainy season (May to October) and come prepared for wet weather.
While in Guatemala’s Petén Forest, don’t miss a visit to the UNESCO-listed Maya ruins of Tikal. Set deep in the jungle, the Tikal archaeological site is comprised of temples, plazas, and pyramids. Highlights include the Temple of the Grand Jaguar, the Northern Acropolis, and the Temple of Inscriptions. Tikal is easily accessible from Flores.
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Petén Forest
No results found!
Things to do near Flores
- Things to do in Petén
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Placencia
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands