Girona Cathedral (Catedral de Girona)
Girona Cathedral stands as the most prominent landmark in Girona and one of its most popular attractions. Many visitors explore the cathedral and surrounding town on a day trip from Barcelona; some trips also include stops at the Dalí Museum in nearby Figueres or the sacred mountaintop monastery of Montserrat. Entrance to the cathedral includes an audio guide in several languages, and access to the nave, treasury, cloister, and Basilica of Sant Feliu.
Recent reviews from experiences in Girona
Things to Know Before You Go
Girona Cathedral is a must-visit for spiritual travelers and first-time visitors to Girona.
Wear comfortable walking shoes and be prepared to climb about 90 steps to reach the cathedral entrance.
Much of the cathedral is wheelchair accessible, with the exception of the Conventual Chapel, cloister, and Sala del Tinell.
How to Get There
The cathedral is located in Plaça de la Catedral in the heart of Girona’s old city. The easiest way to get there is on foot, though it’s also possible to take a local bus to Plaça de Sant Doménec station or hire a taxi.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open daily throughout the year, with slightly reduced hours during the winter months (November to March). This sight is particularly beautiful during the annual Temps de Flors flower festival, when the steps are adorned in colorful blossoms.
Cathedral Treasury Museum
Visitors to the Girona Cathedral should make sure to explore Cathedral Treasury Museum. This collection showcases works of religious art dating as far back the 10th century. Notable pieces include the Beatus illuminated manuscript, the 11th-century Tapestry of Creation, and a Renaissance altarpiece of St. Helena.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Girona Arab Baths (Banys Arabs de Girona)
- Girona Jewish Quarter (El Call de Girona)
- Passeig de la Muralla
- Onyar River (Riu Onyar)
- Water World Lloret
- La Garrotxa Volcanic Zone Natural Park (Parque Natural de la Zona Volcánica de la Garrotxa)
- Salvador Dali House—Portlligat (Casa Salvador Dalí—Port Lligat)