Australia is a nation that was founded by convicts, and the oldest prison in modern Australia is Tasmania’s Richmond Gaol. Constructed in 1825, it’s the only remaining jail in Tasmania where it’s still possible to tour the life of a 19th-century convict. Step inside a dark cell that was used for solitary confinement, and feel firsthand why the tiny space was known to trigger insanity. Stand inside the outdoor courtyard where morning floggings were held, and look at the infamous “cat-o-nine-tails” that was used to administer the lashings. According to some, the Richmond Gaol is still haunted by the ghosts of former convicts, and reports of moans and cold chills are much more common than you’d think. Despite the strength of its original design, the gaol was quickly overcrowded to the point of abject misery, and multiple phases to expand the jail were constructed over 15 years. As the shipments of convicts ceased from overseas, the gaol turned into a holding cell for citizens of petty crime, before eventually falling into disrepair in the middle of the 1920s. Today, as a restored and revitalized historic site that’s one of Tasmania’s best, visitors can not only witness the horrors that convicts had to endure, but also are given a dramatic reminder of why to stay out of jail.
Richmond Gaol Tours and Activities
Should I book Richmond Gaol tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Richmond Gaol 2021?
What's the best way to experience Richmond Gaol?
- Small-Group tour from Hobart: Mt Wellington, Bonorong Wildlife Park and Richmond
- Cruise Ship Special ex Hobart: Mt Wellington, Richmond, Bonorong with free WiFi
- Cruise Ship Special from Hobart: Richmond Shuttle
- Cruise Ship Special from Hobart: Richmond and Bonorong Wildlife Park Shuttle
Things to do near Hobart
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Seven Mile Beach
- Things to do in Port Arthur
- Things to do in Burnie
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in South Island