Split by the Caledonian Canal and surrounded by hilly landscapes, Fort Augustus draws daytrippers seeking the natural beauty of the Highlands. Visitors can set out on boat tours on Loch Ness (keep an eye out for the Loch Ness monster) or relax in one of the town’s cozy cafes for traditional tea and cake. Single-day and multi-day tours from Edinburgh and Glasgow often include Fort Augustus and Loch Ness in their itineraries.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Fort Augustus is a must-see attraction for nature lovers, photographers, and outdoors enthusiasts.
- Hikers and cyclists will want to wear waterproof gear as the ground can be soft underfoot.
- Learn about local history with a visit to the Caledonian Canal Heritage Centre.
How to Get There
Fort Augustus is in the Highlands, about an hour’s drive from Inverness. Most visitors arrive by rental car or as part of a single-day or multi-day tour from Edinburgh or Glasgow. The drive from either city to Fort Augustus is approximately three hours and 15 minutes.
When to Get There
The small village of Fort Augustus is especially busy during the summer months when numbers of international visitors peak. The summer days offer extended daylight which can be attractive. To avoid the crowds, plan a visit during the spring and fall shoulder seasons. Weekends are busier than weekdays, so if possible, plan a visit on a weekday.
Gateway to the Highlands In addition to offering access to scenic boat tours on Loch Ness, Fort Augustus is also within close proximity to other popular landmarks in the Highlands such as Eilean Donan Castle, Urquhart Castle, and the Great Glen Way.
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in St. Andrews
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Limerick
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England
- Caledonian Canal
- Urquhart Castle (Caisteal na Sròine)
- Loch Ness Centre and Exhibition
- Loch Ness
- Glen Ord Distillery
- Whin Park
- Inverness Botanic Gardens (Floral Hall)
- Tomnahurich (Fairy Hill)
- Eden Court Theatre and Cinema
- River Ness (Abhainn Nis)
- Inverness Castle
- Old High Church (Old High St. Stephen’s)
- Merkinch Local Nature Reserve
- Rogie Falls