SIbi is a great place to explore before or after you head into the Borean wilderness on a boat trip or jungle trek. Highlights include the Sibu Heritage Centre, which traces the history of the city’s predominantly Chinese population; the colorful Tua Pek Kong, a riverfront Taoist temple; and the Swam Monument, which pays homage to a bird that represents good fortune and health in Chinese culture.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Sibu is a great city to recuperate in following a trip to the Bornean jungle.
- Fresh and cost-effective seafood is a staple of Sibu’s many riverfront restaurants.
- For photographers, the best place to snap photos is the Rejang Esplanade during sunset.
- Be sure to wander around Sibu Town Square, which boasts the title of Malaysia’s largest town square.
How to Get There
Due to its central location in the Bornean state of Sarawak, Sibu is a transport hub that offers links to the rest of Malaysia by air, sea, and road. Flights depart to Sibu from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur twice daily, while regular coaches can transport you to Kuching in around five hours and Miri—the gateway to Brunei and the neighboring state of Sabah—in around seven hours.
When to Get There
Borneo sees the best weather during the dry season, which runs between March and October, and promises little to no downpours. Typically held around the end of July, the Borneo Cultural Festival—which showcases Boreno’s cultural diversity through performances, parades, and other events—sees Sibu erupt into life.
Floating Villages of the Rajang River No visit to Sibu would be complete without taking a day trip to the Batang Ai region on the Rajang River, where the Iban tribes still live according to a traditional way of life. Although the journey to Borneo’s wild interior can be bumpy, it's worth it to stay overnight in a longhouse and see a community that’s been untouched by time.
- Things to do in Sarawak
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Kota Kinabalu
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sandakan
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Mekong Delta
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam