Opened in 1881 in London’s West End, the Savoy Theatre sits on the site of the old Savoy Palace and adjacent to the Savoy Hotel. The original auditorium was demolished in 1929 and a new one was completed within just six months. Decorated in red and gold and often described as dazzling or gleaming, it is considered one of the most beautiful theaters in London. Built as a showcase for the works of Gilbert and Sullivan, the theater today seats more than 1100 over four levels. It was also the first public building in the world to feature incandescent electric lighting, with lights once being powered by a 120-horsepower generator. After being ravaged by a fire in 1990, its reopening in 1993 attracted worldwide media coverage.
Recent shows at the Savoy Theatre have included Legally Blonde, Cabaret, Guys and Dolls and, currently, Funny Girl.
Tours and tickets to Experience Savoy Theatre
Should I book Savoy Theatre tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Savoy Theatre 2021?
What's the best way to experience Savoy Theatre?
- West End Musicals Silent Disco Tour
- The Taming of the Strand
- London's Alternative History Tour Self-guided Audio Walk by VoiceMap
- Love Actually Tour with Last Christmas, Notting Hill & Four Weddings Sites
Things to do near London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Dover
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Bath
- Things to do in Cardiff
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Ghent
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais