Meaning "Great Road,” Gran Via is a main thoroughfare in Madrid, built to connect Calle de Alcalá to Plaza de España. There are several hotels in the area, as it is well located amongst the cafes, clubs, and popular attractions such as the Prado Museum and Retiro Park. Just about every Madrid city tour will stop along the street, with visits to other popular points of interest such as the Royal Palace of Madrid, Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, and the bullring of Las Ventas. Both group and private tours are available.
Things to Know Before You Go
The street is a must-see for architecture lovers, shoppers, night owls, and first-time visitors.
Gran Via is included in most sightseeing tours of Madrid.
There’s a lot to do on Gran Via, so don’t forget your comfortable walking shoes.
How to Get There
Gran Via is easily accessible by public transportation; metro lines 1, 2, 3, and 5 stop along the street at Santo Domingo, Callao, and Gran Via stations.
When to Get There
Strolling Gran Via is a very different experience by day and night. While daytime hours are popular for shopping at the high-end boutiques along the street, it’s after the sun goes down that the thoroughfare really comes alive.
Things to Do on Gran Via
While primarily known as a shopping and bar-hopping street, there’s plenty more to do on Gran Via. Sample cocido madrileño (chickpea-based stew), Madrid’s most famous culinary specialty, at one of the area restaurants, catch a film in an art deco movie house, tour the art collection at Convento de las Descalzas, or spend some time people-watching in the always bustling Plaza España.
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Royal Palace of El Pardo (Palacio Real de El Pardo)
- Cafe de Chinitas
- Royal Monastery of the Incarnation (Real Monasterio de la Encarnación)
- Plaza de Espana
- Las Tablas Flamenco
- Madrid Plaza de la Villa
- Church of San Ginés (Iglesia de San Ginés)
- House Museum of Mouse Perez (Casa Museo de Ratón Pérez)
- Sabatini Gardens (Jardines de Sabatini)
- Cerralbo Museum (Museo Cerralbo)
- Official Real Madrid Store El Carmen
- Casino Gran Vía
- Royal Palace of Madrid (Palacio Real de Madrid)
- San Miguel Market (Mercado de San Miguel)
- Plaza Mayor
- Madrid Cooking Classes
- Madrid Nightlife
- Wine Tasting Tours from Madrid
- Flamenco in Madrid
- Madrid Football
- Toledo Day Trips from Madrid
- Top Shopping Spots in Madrid
- Things to Do in Madrid This Fall
- Visiting Madrid's Golden Triangle of Art
- Art Lover’s Guide to Madrid
- Where to Find the Best Views in Madrid
- Madrid Neighborhood Guide
- Must-See Museums in Madrid