Retiro Park (Parque de El Retiro)
Its central location both geographically and culturally means El Retiro is difficult to miss if you spend any time in Madrid. Most sightseeing tours include the park, and those interested in the park’s history and modern cultural significance can explore in-depth on a guided walking tour or Segway tour of the park, stopping at points of interest, such as the Crystal Palace and Fallen Angel statue.
Recent reviews from experiences in Madrid
Things to Know Before You Go
El Retiro Park is a must-see for nature lovers, families, and first-time visitors.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
Don’t forget to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
How to Get There
El Retiro is well-connected by public transportation. Take the metro (Line 2) to Retiro Station, or catch any number of public buses. The park also has more than half a dozen BiciMAD bike-share stations.
When to Get There
El Retiro makes a peaceful escape from the hustle of the city just about any time, but the best time to visit is on the weekends when locals come out to play sports, read a book, enjoy a picnic, and relax. This is also when the park fills with buskers and street painters, creating quite the lively atmosphere.
El Retiro Lake
At the heart of the park sits an artificial lake, set beneath the massive Monument to Alfonso XII. For a quintessential Madrid experience, head to the park in the afternoon and rent a rowboat for a float on the lake.
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Palacio De Cristal
- National Museum of Decorative Arts (Museo Nacional de Artes Decorativas)
- Alcalá Gate (Puerta de Alcalá)
- Royal Botanical Garden (Real Jardín Botánico)
- Madrid Naval Museum (Museo Naval de Madrid)
- Prado Museum (Museo del Prado)
- CaixaForum Madrid
- National Anthropology Museum (Museo Nacional de Antropología)
- Cibeles Fountain (Fuente de Cibeles)
- Royal Tapestry Factory (Real Fábrica de Tapices)
- Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum (Museo Nacional Thyssen-Bornemisza)
- Cybele Palace (Palacio de Cibeles)
- Reina Sofia Museum (Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia)
- Plaza de Cibeles
- Mapfre Foundation (Fundación Mapfre)