Sobrino de Botín
In many cities, there's an establishment so widely loved that it becomes intertwined with urban culture. Madrid's Sobrino de Botín is one such place. This restaurant's name is synonymous with Spanish cuisine, which isn't surprising, since the kitchen has been serving culinary gems since 1725. The traditional dishes here are spectacular.
As the oldest in-operation restaurant in Spain, Botín (as it's known to locals) presents gastronomic gems that are not frilly creations, but simply standout Spanish dishes. The food here is the epitome of tradition. Many dishes are prepared in an original wood-fired oven, and the suckling pig is the stuff of dreams.
Located near bustling Plaza Mayor, it's easy to enjoy dinner at this multi-generational restaurant after visiting the Madrid Royal Palace, strolling through the Barrio de las Letras, or walking here—in about 20 minutes—from the revered Prado Museum. Several food tours, tapas tours, and VIP excursions also include a stop here, with some offering a multi-course lunch with wine.
Things to know before you go
- Painter Francisco de Goya worked here washing dishes, and writer Ernest Hemingway mentions Botín in his novel, The Sun Also Rises.
- The restaurant is popular, so call in advance or book online to secure reservations.
- Botín offers seating in an upstairs dining room and a subterranean wine cave.
How to get there
The restaurant is located a short walk from Plaza Mayor. Though numerous sightseeing tours pass this storied instution, you can easily arrive by metro. Take Line 5 to La Latina, and walk to the restaurant via Toledo Street.
When to get there
Reservations are strongly recommended for both dinner and lunch, as is a timely arrival lest you lose your table. With luck, visitors without reservations can sometimes find an open table by arriving exactly at opening time, usually 1pm for lunch and 8pm for dinner.
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Bilbao
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Aragón
- Things to do in Basque Country
- La Taberna de Mister Pinkleton
- Plaza Mayor
- San Miguel Market (Mercado de San Miguel)
- La Latina
- Church of San Ginés (Iglesia de San Ginés)
- Madrid Plaza de la Villa
- House Museum of Mouse Perez (Casa Museo de Ratón Pérez)
- La Cueva de Lola
- Essential Flamenco
- Official Real Madrid Store El Carmen
- Puerta del Sol
- Corral de la Morería
- Almudena Cathedral (Catedral de la Almudena)
- Plaza de Oriente
- Sabatini Gardens (Jardines de Sabatini)
- Madrid Cooking Classes
- Madrid Nightlife
- Wine Tasting Tours from Madrid
- Flamenco in Madrid
- Madrid Football
- Toledo Day Trips from Madrid
- Top Shopping Spots in Madrid
- Things to Do in Madrid This Fall
- Visiting Madrid's Golden Triangle of Art
- Art Lover’s Guide to Madrid
- Where to Find the Best Views in Madrid
- Madrid Neighborhood Guide
- Must-See Museums in Madrid