Marseille Contemporary Art Museum (MAC)
The Contemporary Art Museum (MAC) features displays of works divided by different themes such as the unconventional Italian Arte Povera movement from the 1960s and the French Supports/Surfaces collective from the early 1970s, and more. Many of the exciting works here, including those by Jimmie Durham, Tadashi Kawamata and Jacques Monory defy classification, while another focus falls upon native or adopted Marseillais artists such as César Baldaccini, Richard Baquié, Jean Tinguely, and Jean-Michel Basquiat.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Marseille Contemporary Art Museum is an ideal spot for art lovers wanting to keep up to date.
- There is an admission fee with discounts for students and seniors.
- The museum is wheelchair accessible.
- Check the calendar for concerts, conferences, panel discussions, and many other events.
- Have an al fresco drink or meal on the terrace of the restaurant.
How to Get There
Marseille Contemporary Art Museum is located on Avenue de Haïfa in the 8th arrondissement in Marseille. Take the metro to Rond-Point du Prado and then bus 23 or 45 to Haïfa-Marie-Louise. If you are coming from Paris, take the high-speed TGV train; expect about a 3.5-hour ride.
When to Get There
The museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from morning until evening. On Sunday mornings, tickets are free until 1pm. Marseille’s peak season lasts from May through August, when the weather is very sunny with little rains. To avoid the crowds in both the city and the beaches, come on the shoulder seasons of spring and the autumn.
Museum of African, Oceanic and American-Indian Art Move up the coast to the northern flank of the Old Port for another unique encounter with art grounded in the city and surrounding area in the sense that the crossroads port city of Marseille, the oldest city in France, is a melting pot of ethnic influences. Housed in the Baroque-style Vieille Charité, the Museum of African, Oceanic and American-Indian Artxa0 features striking ethnographic pieces and ancient artifacts.
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon