Malacca River (Sungai Melaka) Tours
The Malacca River (Sungai Melaka) cuts across the city of the same name, now most commonly spelled Melaka, and is also known as the Melaka River. In recent years, the river has been revitalized into a top destination, with both Malaysians and international visitors coming to soak in its history and marvel at the diverse architecture from the city’s Portuguese, Dutch, and British heritage.
One of the best ways to take in the colonial architecture of UNESCO World Heritage Site of Melaka is aboard a Malacca River cruise sailing past picturesque riverbanks and beneath numerous landmark bridges. A typical day trip from Kuala Lumpur or Singapore might include such a cruise, as well as visits to the Dutch Museum, St. Peter’s Church, and Jonker Street.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A cruise on the Melaka River is a must for families and first-time visitors.
- Don’t forget to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat, as the river has little shade.
- River cruises last about 45 minutes round-trip.
How to Get There
If you’re not visiting the river as part of a guided tour, you can make your way there yourself by walking along Jonker Street until it meets the river.
When to Get There
The best time to enjoy the Malacca River and other outdoor attractions is during the dry season—typically April, early May, and October. Plan your cruise in the morning or early evening to avoid the worst of the heat.
Attractions to Visit Before or After Your Cruise
The departure point for Malacca River cruises is centrally located in the heart of the historic city. If you have some free time before or after a boat trip on the river, plan to spend some time visiting other nearby attractions, such as the Stadthuys in Red Square, Christ Church, the Maritime Museum, or Jonker Street (also called Jonker Walk).
4 Tours and Activities to Experience Malacca River (Sungai Melaka)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Malacca 3Days 2Nights Package
- Historical Melaka Full-Day 14 Attractions Tour
- Melaka (UNESCO) 14 Attractions Full-Day Sightseeing tour
- Malacca World Heritage City Private Day Tour
Things to do near Melaka
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Johor Bahru
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Tanah Rata
- Things to do in Ipoh
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Kuala Besut
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Johor
- Things to do in Pahang
- Things to do in Perak