City Circle Tram
Use the City Circle Tram just as you would a hop-on hop-off bus service. The service, which follows route number 35, covers top Melbourne attractions such as Flinders Street Station, notable for its grand Victorian facade; Federation Square, a contemporary space home to several sculptures and modern museums; and the ornate State Library of Victoria, to name but a few. Audio commentary provides historical and cultural context for each attraction the tram passes.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The City Circle Tram is an ideal way for first-time visitors to orient themselves in Australian’s second city.
- Onboard each City Circle Tram, you’ll find information leaflets and maps that detail each of the stops covered by the route.
- Due to the old-fashioned design of the carriages, the City Circle Tram is unfortunately not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Route number 35 takes a circular route that starts at stpp D11, located on Docklands Drive, and terminates at the intersection of Spencer Street and La Trobe Street, the commercial hub of the city. You can board or alight at any of the 24 stops along the route.
When to Get There
The service runs in both directions approximately every 12 minutes between 10am-6pm Sunday-Wednesday, and until 9pm on the other days. Free commentary is provided relating to the sights along the route. During morning and evening rush hour, the tram is typically standing room only.
The Best of Route Number 35 Some of the best stops to disembark at during your ride on the City Circle Tram are Melbourne Aquarium, the largest of its kind in the state of Victoria; the neo-classical Parliament House, the seat of parliament; and Flagstaff Gardens, a 19th-century parkland that’s home to ancient elm trees, sculptures, and electric barbecues that are free to use.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island