As one of the town’s most popular exports, it comes as no surprise that most tours focus on wine. Sightseeing excursions typically stop at several wineries along the lakeside Leggatt Street and, by taking care of transportation, allow you to indulge in more than one tasting. Most of Daylesford’s outdoor opportunities centre around Daylesford Lake; opt for a family-friendly GPS treasure hunt if you have kids in tow or go kayaking to escape the crowds on land.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A must-visit destination for travelers looking to escape the city and soak up some small-town vibes.
- There are plenty of accommodation options in Daylesford, which range from homestays to luxurious spa hotels.
- Daylesford’s culinary scene, which focuses on locally-sourced produce, is one of the best in the state of Victoria. Make restaurant reservations in advance to avoid disappointment.
How to Get There
Daylesford is a 1.5-hour drive from Melbourne via the National Highway M8. If you don’t want to hire a car, you can also reach the town easily with public transport; from central Melbourne, trains depart frequently and take around 1.5 hours, with some routes involving a change at Ballan.
When to Get There
In order to make the most of Daylesford’s natural landscapes, its best to visit during the spring and summer months of March through September, when Daylesford Lake is perfect for swimming and sunbathing on the shores.
Convent Gallery Hailed as one of the most beautiful galleries in Australia, the hilltop Convent Gallery is housed in a 19th-century mansion in Wombat Hill Botanical Gardens. As well as enjoying great views of Daylesford, you can admire three floors of local and international art, and visit a cafe that serves snacks and afternoon tea.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island