Owned and operated by the VRC (Victoria Racing Club), Flemington Racecourse is listed on the Australian National Heritage List and Victorian Heritage Register. Located outside the city center, it’s not usually passed by on city sightseeing tours but it’s still accessible for those who want to visit. Tickets for racing events can be purchased on the Flemington website. Behind-the-scenes tours of the racecourse offer a look at historical features, horse stalls, the jockeys’ rooms, and more.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Flemington Racecourse is ideal for horse-racing enthusiasts and those interested in historical attractions of Melbourne.
- The large rose garden is a popular feature of the racecourse.
- The Flemington Heritage Centre is open weekdays by appointment.
- Flemington has a mobile app with information and tips for visitors.
- Cloakrooms and parenting facilities are available.
How to Get There
Flemington sits 4 miles (7 km) northwest of Melbourne’s Central Business District (CBD) on the bank of the Maribyrnong River. It can be reached via tram from the stops along Epsom Road or by train from the Flemington Racecourse station.
When to Get There
The Melbourne Cup Carnival takes place each November. There are 25 total race days during the year, including events such as Girls’ Day Out, Spring Classics Preview Day, and National Hall of Fame Race Day; additionally, non-racing events include fashion lunches and cocktail parties.
What to Wear Dressing up for race day—especially choosing the perfect hat—is part of the fun. While there is no formal dress code for general admission, smart attire is recommended. Members of VRC and their guests must adhere to a dress code, which prohibits shorts, short jumpsuits, and stomach-baring ensembles for women; men should be in tailored slacks, a tie, jacket, and dress shoes. Melbourne Cup race day is a particularly stylish extravaganza.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island