Lygon Street is a great place to experience the diversity of Melbourne’s culture and cuisine without the crowds of the CBD. Some Melbourne sightseeing tours combine a stop at Lygon Street with other nearby attractions such as St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Fitzroy Gardens, and Chinatown, while others offer an introduction to the whole city as well as taking you to Phillip Island. Lygon Street is a stop on hop-on hop-off bus routes, which allow you to create your own itinerary.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Lygon Street is a must-visit street for food and coffee lovers.
- In addition to Italian cafes and restaurants, Lygon Street has a shopping precinct and a bookstore.
- The covered walkway that runs parallel to the street makes Lygon Street an all-weather destination.
- The paved street is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to Get There
From Melbourne CBD, take tram number 1 or 6 and disembark at Richardson Street, from which Lygon Street is a 1-minute walk. From central Melbourne, Lygon Street is a 45-minute walk past the University of Melbourne and Melbourne Gaol.
When to Get There
Though the street itself is accessible at any time of day or night, each restaurant, cafe, and store operate with different business hours. Head to Lygon Street in the morning for breakfast; around lunchtime for a heart Italian feast; or at night to catch a film at the arthouse cinema or a cocktail in one of the bars.
Highlights of Lygon Street After eating your fill of Italian delicacies, check out some of Lygon Street’s other attractions. Highlights include Readings bookstore, an acclaimed book shop that;s famous throughout the city; Cinema Nova, an arthouse cinema that is decorated according to an art deco theme; and Atticus Finch, a vintage-style cocktail bar that’s perfect for after-dinner drinks.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island