St Patrick's Cathedral
St. Patrick’s Cathedral is a stape of Melbourne sightseeing tours. Admire its spire from above during a sunrise hot-air balloon ride; combine the cathedral with shopping at Victoria Market and the Laneways on a city tour; or cover sights such as the Royal Botanic Gardens and the Shrine of Remembrance during a horse-and-carriage ride. To delve deeper into Melbourne’s religious history, opt for a tour that focuses specifically on Melbourne’s parks and cathedral.
Things to Know Before You Go
- St. Patrick’s Cathedral is a must-visit attraction for architecture buffs and Christian travelers.
- The cathedral is an active place of worship so ensure you wear respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees.
- Opposite the cathedral, there’s a gift shop that sells rosary beads, CDs, and other handcrafted items.
- The ground levels of the cathedral are accessible to both wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
St. Patrick’s Cathedral is located at Cathedral Place in east Melbourne. The closest tram stop is Albert St/Gisborne St, which is covered by tram numbers 12 and 109. Parliament Station, stop number 10 on the no. 96 route, is a 5-minute walk from the cathedral.
When to Get There
The cathedral is open daily from the early morning until mid evening; the latest the cathedral stays open is on Wednesdays, when it opens its doors until 8:30pm. Mass is held several times a day; check the website for the exact times.
Things to Do in East Melbourne Unlike Melbourne CBD, east Melbourne draws fewer crowds thayn the city center. Highlights of the area include The Johnston Collection, which exhibits a private collection of antiques and art in a historic Melbourne townhouse; the Fairies Tree, a 300-year-old trunk decorated with mythical creatures; and the Fire Services Museum of Victoria.
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in South Island