Three days gives you enough time to really linger in Mendoza, sampling the wines, breathing in the fresh mountain air, and wandering the tree-lined streets and fountain-filled plazas that make this wine-country hub so captivating. Read on for tips about how to make the most of your three days.
Plaza Independencia, Mendoza, 1324
In a city of leafy squares, Plaza Independencia is one of Mendoza’s most beautiful gathering places. Founded in 1861, following the earthquake, it stretches for several city blocks and is planted with a mix of pines, palms, and flower beds. Water fountains, ornamental lamps, and wrought-iron park benches complete the relaxed atmosphere. Several city tours including sightseeing tours feature a stop at Plaza Independencia.
Things to know before you go
- Plaza Independencia is a must-see attraction for travelers seeking a slice of life in Mendoza.
- The terrace at the center of the plaza hosts events and is home to the city’s Municipal Museum of Modern Art.
- The smooth paths of the plaza are wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
- Walkways are lined with trees that provide plenty of shade on warm days.
How to get there
Plaza Independencia is located in the heart of Mendoza. It is often reached by the pedestrianized Avenue Sarmiento that leads off the square’s eastern edge. It is easily accessible by public transportation; take bus #1002, #1102, or #1202 to Patricias Mendocinas.
When to get there
Travel to Mendoza is popular from October through April. People who travel to Argentina to taste wine often plan a trip to coincide with harvest months of late February, March, and April. The spring months of October and November are also known for their pleasant temperatures.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Plaza Independencia?
Attractions near Plaza Independencia:
What else should I know about attractions in Mendoza?
- San Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- Plaza España
- General San Martin Park (Parque General San Martin)
- Hill of Glory (Cerro de la Gloria)
- Navarro Correa Winery
- Bodega Tierras Altas
- Trapiche Winery (Bodega Trapiche)
- Achaval-Ferrer Winery
- Bodega Renacer
- Bodega Cruzat
- Finca Decero
- Bodega Chandon
- Cacheuta Thermal Spa (Termas Cacheuta)
- Villavicencio Natural Reserve (Reserva Natural Villavicencio)