Shankar's International Dolls Museum
This colorful museum, located within the Children’s Book Trust, features everything from Spanish flamenco dancer dolls to tiny Japanese geishas. The India exhibit—a highlight of the museum—has 500 dolls dressed in traditional costumes from across the country. While it's not the best-known of Delhi's museums, custom tours often stop here and it's a good place to bring kids.
Things to know before you go
- The museum is a must-visit for families with kids or anyone interested in traditional dress from around the world.
- Note that photography is not allowed in the museum.
- The museum is accessible by stairs and is not wheelchair-friendly.
How to get there
Shankar’s International Dolls Museum is situated inside the Children's Book Trust building, across from the ITO metro station (on the violet line of the Delhi Metro). It's just south of Raj Ghat, a popular memorial at the cremation site of Mahatma Gandhi, and about a 10-minute drive from Connaught Place in the heart of Delhi.
When to get there
The museum is a year-round attraction, and a good spot to pop into to get a break from hot, sunny days or rainy monsoon weather. It’s open every day except for Mondays and some national holidays, and tends to get more crowds on weekends.
Dr. B.C. Roy Children’s Reading Room
Also within the Children's Book Trust building, tie Dr. B.C. Roy Children’s Reading Room and Library houses around 40,000 books grouped into three different age group areas. A variety of membership options are available for children ages five to 16 who want to check out books, but it may be worth signing up for a low-cost "ordinary membership" if you just want to spend a few hours perusing the collection.
- Things to do in Agra
- Things to do in Rishikesh
- Things to do in Jaipur
- Things to do in Pushkar
- Things to do in Lahore
- Things to do in Jodhpur
- Things to do in Udaipur
- Things to do in Srinagar
- Things to do in Kathmandu
- Things to do in Himachal Pradesh & Uttarakhand
- Things to do in Uttar Pradesh
- Things to do in Jaisalmer
- Things to do in Pokhara
- Things to do in Rajasthan
- Things to do in Jammu and Kashmir
- Khooni Darwaza (Lal Darwaza)
- Feroz Shah Kotla Fort
- National Gandhi Museum
- Raj Ghat
- National Handicrafts and Handlooms Museum (Crafts Museum)
- Connaught Place
- India Gate
- Madame Tussauds Delhi
- Delhi Old Fort (Purana Qila)
- New Delhi National Gallery of Modern Art
- Jama Masjid (Masjid e Jahan Numa)
- New Delhi Parliament House (Sansad Bhavan)
- Jantar Mantar
- National Zoological Park of Delhi