Matisse Museum (Musée Matisse)
The permanent collection at the Matisse Museum is small but mighty, with notable pieces includingLes Abeilles,Fleurs et Fruits, and some of his signature paper cutouts. The building itself—the grand 17th-century Genoese Villa des Arènes—is a work of art and is close to Matisse's old home at the Hotel Regina.
Because of its small size, the Matisse Museum is best experienced as part of a French Riviera sightseeing tour or a Nice art tour, which likely includes stops at the Chagall Museum and the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild.
Recent reviews from experiences in Nice
Things to Know Before You Go
Entrance ticket is good for all municipal museums.
Only some information is in English; visit with a guide for the best translations.
Expect to spend roughly 90 minutes exploring the collection and gift shop.
Though there is a large staircase without a railing, an elevator provides accessibility.
Backpacks and other large bags are not allowed.
How to Get There
Located on the grand Avenue des Arenes de Cimiez in the hills overlooking Nice, the museum is best accessed by bus. Catch the 15, 17, 20, or 25 from the Nice central bus station (just outside of Old Town) to the Les Arenes/Musée stop.
When to Get There
The museum is open year-round from 11am to 6pm and opens at 10am during the high season from mid-June through mid-October. It is closed on Tuesdays and public holidays. Check in advance for a regular calendar of special workshops for children and adults alike.
Provence was once the home to a number of France's greatest painters, including Marc Chagall, who enjoyed the warm weather and good light of Southern France.
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Provence
- Cimiez Monastery (Monastere de Cimiez)
- Marc Chagall National Museum (Musée National Marc Chagall)
- Cote d’Azur Observatory (Observatoire de la Cote d’Azur)
- Place Garibaldi
- Massena Square (Place Masséna)
- Castle Hill (Colline du Château)
- Hotel Negresco
- St. Nicholas Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint-Nicolas)
- Cours Saleya Flower Market (Marché aux Fleurs Cours Saleya)
- Molinard Perfumery (Maison Molinard)
- Quai des États-Unis
- Quai Lunel
- Mt. Boron (Mont Boron)
- Massena Art & History Museum (Musée Masséna)
- Villefranche Cruise Port (Port de la Santé)