Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve
There’s more to Queensland’s Sunshine Coast than suntans, surfboards, and shoreline, although given the wealth of white sand beaches and places to bake in the sun, it’s easy to see why the forested interior can sometimes be overlooked. At the Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve, travelers are reminded how Queensland’s interior has an endemic beauty of its own. These hills that rise behind the Glass House Mountains were once covered in rainforest—parts of which are still visible on the reserve’s 135 acres. Stroll along miles of wooden boardwalk past red cedar and ginger, and listen for the mating call of green catbirds and they flit high in the treetops. While silently strolling the shaded trails, keep an eye out for red-legged padmelon as they scurry and forage through the underbrush. These small wallabies have lost much of their habitat due to surrounding deforestation, although still survive on this small refuge that’s been called an “ecological island.” There are playgrounds and barbecues for family outings as well as an education center, or simply sit at the small café to enjoy a tea in the forest.
Tours and tickets to Experience Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve
Should I book Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve 2021?
What's the best way to experience Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve?
- Full-Day Guided Hinterland Adventure Tour in Queensland
- Sunshine Coast Hinterland Rainforest, Views and Montville Day Tour Inc. Lunch
Things to do near Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Rainbow Beach
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Tasmania