White limestone rocks along the riverbed create gentle rapids and tranquil pools for lazing about in the water. Visitors can tube or kayak down the river, or saddle a horse to ride trails that meander through tropical rain forest, passing under hanging vines and trees filled with exotic birds.
Travelers have many options to explore White River Valley as part of a half- or full-day private or group tour that may include additional adventures nearby. Starting out from Falmouth, Ocho Rios, or Montego Bay, travelers may swim in the magical Blue Hole or in the cascades of Dunns River Falls, or soak up reggae history at the Bob Marley Mausoleum. Some tours include lunch and a shopping excursion.
Recent reviews from experiences in Ocho Rios
Things to Know Before You Go
- The White River Valley is a good choice for nature-loving solo travelers, couples, and families.
- Entrance is free, but visitors pay separate fees for activities that are included as part of a larger tour.
- Round-trip hotel transfers are included in most tours.
- White River is not wheelchair accessible.
- Remember to bring sun protection, swimwear, and a towel.
How to Get There
White River Valley is 7 miles (11 kilometers) inland from Ocho Rios, between the parishes of St. Mary and St. Ann.
When to Get There
The White River Valley is open year-round. Go in the early morning hours to beat the crowds, or at night when the river is illuminated by torches and the sounds of drums accompany you on your float.
A Bit of Colonial History Keep your eyes peeled for the historic Spanish Bridge, which dates back to the 1600s and is located at the top of the river. A gentle green slope allows you to climb out of your tube or kayak and up to the top of the low-lying bridge where you can leap into the crystal-clear water below.
- Things to do in Runaway Bay
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Falmouth
- Things to do in Montego Bay
- Things to do in Black River
- Things to do in Lucea
- Things to do in Negril
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island