There’s no charge to enter Komtar and shop at the mall or dine at the many eateries, which range from a food court to fine dining, but most travelers come here for the entertainment complex known simply as the TOP. Besides the Rainbow Skywalk, other terrifying treats include Gravityz, a 65th-floor rope course complete with zipline. The Jurassic Research Center, at ground level, features 200 animated dinosaurs, while other attractions include the 7D Discovery Motion Theater and the Tech-Dome science museum. Purchase attraction tickets individually or bundled as a package.
Things to Know Before You Go
Komtar has something for most types of travelers, especially families.
The Rainbow Skywalk is the highest point in George Town and offers spectacular views.
Wear practical shoes if you’re visiting the Rainbow Skywalk. Shoe covers are supplied to prevent scuffing the glass.
The Komtar building is wheelchair-accessible, with elevators and accessible bathrooms. Not all attractions are suitable for travelers who use wheelchairs, however.
How to Get There
Komtar is located in the heart of downtown George Town, about 1.5 miles (2 kilometers) southwest of the Jubilee Clock Tower. The building stands out so much that it’s possible to navigate here visually if exploring on foot. Alternatively, buses from around Penang island stop at the Komtar bus terminal.
When to Get There
Komtar is open seven days a week from morning until late in the evening, but many attractions close earlier. Sunset is a great time to visit Komtar’s sky-high attractions, as you get to enjoy Penang views by day and night alike.
What Does Komtar Mean?
You’ll often see Komtar written KOMTAR. That’s because the name is an acronym for the skyscraper’s full name: Kompleks Tun Abdul Razak. It was Tun Abdul Razak, Malaysia’s second prime minister, who officiated the first piling ceremony when building work started in 1974. Don’t confuse Komtar Penang with Komtar JBCC in the mainland city of Johor Bahru.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Penang House of Music
- Little India
- Upside Down Museum
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Fort Cornwallis
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
- Penang Botanical Gardens (Taman Botani Penang)