Visitors can access Monkey Beach as part of a half-day trip to Penang National Park. Hassle-free tour options can include round-trip transfers from your George Town hotel, transport by boat, and a barbecue lunch on the beach. The short duration of many Monkey Beach tours means that it’s easy to combine a visit to the national park with a tour of George Town, making Penang a great destination for travelers on a time budget.
Things to Know Before You Go
Monkey Beach is a must-visit for lovers of nature and wildlife.
Wear comfortable shoes and plenty of insect repellent if you want to hike.
Be wary of the macaques and avoid carrying food.
Admission to Penang National Park is free, but visitors must register at the visitors center.
You can access Monkey Beach by hiking or taking a boat.
How to Get There
Penang National Park is a 45-minute bus ride from the city center. From George Town, take Rapid Penang bus No. 101 or 103 and disembark at the final stop near the park entrance. You can also take a private taxi to the park, or visit as part of a guided tour that includes round-trip transportation.
When to Get There
Penang National Park is open daily from 8am to 5pm. In northern Malaysia, the dry season occurs from August through November, making these months the coolest and best times to hike through the park.
The Delights of Penang National Park
There’s more to Penang National Park than just Monkey Beach. The Meromictic Lake, one of only three such lakes in Asia, is home to the natural phenomenon of two separate layers of water co-existing. During monsoon season, you can swim in the lake and enjoy the sensation of both cool freshwater and warm saltwater simultaneously.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Escape Theme Park Penang
- Entopia by Penang Butterfly Farm
- TeddyVille Museum
- Penang Hill Funicular Railway
- Penang Hill (Bukit Bendera Pulau Pinang)
- Kek Lok Si Temple
- Penang Botanical Gardens (Taman Botani Penang)
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)
- Penang House of Music
- Little India
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Upside Down Museum
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)