Washington Square Park
A stroll through the small park will take you down tree-lined walkways and to the park’s main monument, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of the Revolutionary War, which features an eternal flame. Forming part of Independence National Historical Park, Washington Square is often visited as part of history-focused tours of Philadelphia along with nearby Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell Center, and other sites connected to the Revolutionary War and the founding of the US government. Biking, walking, and Segway tours of the landmark-packed Old City often stop here.
Washington Square also served as a burial site for the victims of the Revolutionary War and the 18th-century yellow fever epidemic, as well as for Philadelphia’s poor. For this reason, it’s often visited as part of ghost tours of the city.
Things to know before you go
- Washington Square Park is a must for history buffs with historical markers dotted around the site.
- Washington Square Park is wheelchair accessible.
- Find public restrooms, maps, and free Wi-Fi at the Independence Visitor Center on the corner of Sixth and Market streets.
How to get there
Washington Square Park is in Center City, Philadelphia. If you’re coming by public transit, take the Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO) train to 8th and Market Street. Washington Square is about a 5-minute walk from there.
When to get there
Go in summer or early fall when the weather is best for outdoor strolls and picnicking. Though it’s in a busy part of town, Washington Square Park remains relatively peaceful.
What to See Nearby
Washington Square Park is only a block away from Independence Hall, where the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution were signed, and just two blocks from the Liberty Bell, an iconic symbol of American independence. Many other notable attractions, including the National Constitution Center and the Museum of the American Revolution, are also within easy walking distance from the park.
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in Williamsburg
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Montreal
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Virginia
- Philadelphia Old City Hall
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Congress Hall in Philadelphia
- Liberty Bell Center
- Independence Mall
- Library Hall (American Philosophical Society Museum)
- National Liberty Museum
- Second Bank of the United States
- President's House
- Independence Visitor Center
- Dolley Todd House
- National Museum of American Jewish History (NMAJH)
- New Hall Military Museum
- Carpenters' Hall
- Powel House