The Nobbies Centre offers a front row seat to nature’s powerful drama. Marooned out on the western end of Victoria’s Phillip Island, the Nobbies is a spot where the jagged rocks are met by the fury of the sea. The area is best known for the 16,000 fur seals that make their home on the rocks, and the spring season from October-January is when males fight to claim their territory and mothers feed their young. Above the rocks and crashing surf, hundreds of sea birds float and glide on gusty currents in the sky—almost to the point that their avian cloud can partially block out the sun.
A series of boardwalks and lookout points leads from the center to the coast, although the seals are rarely close enough to be seen with the naked eye. Instead, it’s the power of the wind, waves, and sea spray that offers immediate drama. When a storm rolls in off the Southern Ocean and encounters the slippery rocks, the walls of whitewater furiously exploding are reason enough to visit. If the wind is whipping up a chill, escape to the confines of the educational center and warm up with a coffee or tea, and keep your eyes peeled for Little Penguins that burrow under the boardwalk. While the Centre itself is a quick visit, it’s the sweeping views from the coastal boardwalk that make this a visitor favorite.
Tours and tickets to Experience Nobbies Centre
What are Nobbies Centre hours of operation?
Should I book Nobbies Centre tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Nobbies Centre 2021?
What's the best way to experience Nobbies Centre?
- Puffing Billy, Moonlit Sanctuary & Penguins Day Tour
- Pure Nature - Phillip Island, Penguins & Exclusive Wildlife Sanctuary Encounter
- 2-Day Great Ocean Road, Mornington Peninsula and Phillip Island Tour
- Phillip Island Penguin Parade and George Bass Coastal Walk
Things to do near Phillip Island
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Burnie
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Seven Mile Beach
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Port Arthur
- Things to do in New South Wales