Dom Luis Bridge (Ponte de Dom Luis I)
As one of Porto’s most recognizable bridges, Ponte de Dom Luis I is a staple of sightseeing tours. For the best views, opt for a Douro River cruise that sails beneath all of the bridges, one of which was designed by Gustave Eiffel himself. As well as a cruise, many packages include wine tasting in some of Porto’s historic cellars; a Segway, electric bike, or tuk-tuk tour; and even a tour of the vineyards of the Douro Valley.
Things to know before you go
- The bridge is a must-see for architecture buffs.
- The lower deck of the bridge carries cars and pedestrians via a walkway, while the top deck is reserved for trains.
- Six bridges cruises, all of which cover the Ponte de Dom Luis I, take around one hour, making them ideal for time-pressed travelers.
How to get there
Ponte de Dom Luis I spans the Douro River and connects the Ribeira District of Porto with the Vila Nova de Gaia region. The bridge’s lower level is accessible from the Cais de Ribeira waterfront via steps, while the upper level is reachable via a downhill walk from Sao Bento Railway station. The Linha 1 tram line stops beside the bridge and follows a scenic route along the Douro River.
When to get there
Porto is at its busiest during the summer months of July and August, so if you’re looking to escape the majority of the crowds then opt to visit in the cooler months, March to June or September and October. Head to the bridge around sunset to watch the buildings on the riverbank twinkle on as the sun sets.
Gateway of Teleférico de Gaia
The Teleférico de Gaia cable car gives you the chance to enjoy bird’s-eye views of Porto and the historic Gai district. During the 5-minute cable car ride, see the sloped roofs of Porto’s historic architecture and, on a clear day, all of the city’s six bridges.
- Porto Calem Wine Cellars
- Porto Cathedral (Sé Catedral do Porto)
- Palace of the Stock Exchange (Palácio da Bolsa)
- Church of São Francisco (Igreja de São Francisco)
- Museum of Our Lady of Mercy of Porto (Museu da Misericórdia do Porto)
- Liberdade Square (Praça da Liberdade)
- Clérigos Church and Tower (Torre & Igreja dos Clérigos)
- Avenida dos Aliados
- Rua Santa Catarina
- Casa da Música
- Porto Bridge Climb
- Serralves Museum (Fundação de Serralves)
- SEA LIFE® Porto
- Santo Inácio Zoo