Casa Ponce de León
Explorer and conquistador Juan Ponce de Léon first visited the Americas as part of Christopher Columbus’ second mission in 1493. He remained in Hispaniola (now the Dominican Republic and Haiti) and was named the first governor of Puerto Rico in 1509. From 1502 to 1508 he, his wife, and their three daughters lived in the simple, fortified stone house near San Rafael de Yuma designed with small doors and windows for additional safety against intruders. Today the Ponce de Léon House museum still contains some of the family’s possessions, including furniture, chests, and even his suit of armor.
You can visit the museum independently or as part of a guided tour from Punta Cana, some of which also explore nearby beaches and caves.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Ponce de Léon House is ideal for history buffs.
Tours of the house are available in Spanish only.
Nearby Boca de Yuma is a popular snorkeling spot.
How to Get There
Within driving distance of the resorts of Punta Cana and La Romana, the house is in a fairly isolated area near the town of Boca de Yuma. Most visitors drive to the house, take a taxi, or arrive with a guided tour that includes transportation.
When to Get There
The house is open from 10am to 1pm Tuesday through Sunday.
Enjoy the Bright Lights of Punta Cana
On the Dominican Republic’s southeast coast, the resort town of Punta Cana has it all—white-sand beaches, water that’s ideal for swimming, lively restaurants and resort bars, and a wide variety of water sports. It’s a very popular choice for vacationers looking for a sunny getaway, especially in winter.
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Santo Domingo
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Oranjestad
- Things to do in St John's
- Things to do in Kralendijk
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Hoyo Azul Lagoon
- Scape Park at Cap Cana
- Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park and Reserve (Parque Ojos Indigenas)
- Juanillo Beach (Playa Juanillo)
- Saona Island (Isla Saona)
- La Hacienda Park
- Lemon Lagoon Bay
- Fun Fun Cave (Cueva Fun Fun)
- La Cana Golf Course
- National Park of the East (Parque Nacional del Este)
- Imagine Punta Cana
- Imagine Punta Cana Disco
- Cocotal Golf and Country Club
- Catalina Island (Isla Catalina)
- Coco Bongo Punta Cana