Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano (Basilica di San Clemente al Laterano)
When visiting the San Clemente al Laterano, you can admire the present-day church—home to spectacular mosaics and the tombs of St. Clement and St. Cyril—before heading underground to tour the excavations below. Here, you’ll find well-preserved frescoes, a pagan temple dedicated to Mithras, and the remains of a Roman house.
There are thousands of years of history to take in at the basilica, so the best way to visit is by joining a private guided tour of the church and underground excavation sites with skip-the-line entry. Many tours of San Clemente al Laterano also visit the Capuchin Crypt and accompanying museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano is ideal for history buffs.
Book a skip-the-line tour to avoid long waits, especially in the summer months.
San Clemente is a Catholic church—modest clothing, covering shoulders and knees, and a respectful decorum are required.
Photography is not allowed inside the basilica.
The excavations beneath San Clemente are not accessible to wheelchairs or strollers.
How to Get There
The Basilica of San Clemente al Laterano is located on Piazza San Clemente near the Colosseum. Take metro line B from the Termini train station to the Colosseo stop.
When to Get There
The church and underground excavations are open daily year-round; check the website for hours and mass times. The site is a cool reprieve from the summer heat, yet can be very crowded during this time.
San Clemente History
San Clemente was built on top of an older basilica dating from the fourth century, which in turn was built on the remains of a villa owned by a wealthy Roman, probably destroyed by the great fire in AD 64.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Basilica of Santi Quattro Coronati (Basilica dei Santi Quattro Coronati)
- Golden House of Nero (Domus Aurea)
- Oppian Hill Park (Parco del Colle Oppio)
- Caelian Hill (Celio)
- Rome Basilica di Santi Giovanni e Paolo
- Church of St. Peter in Chains (San Pietro in Vincoli)
- Basilica of St. Stephen in the Round (Basilica di Santo Stefano Rotondo)
- Case Romane del Celio
- Palatine Hill (Palatino)
- Villa Celimontana
- Basilica di Santa Francesca Romana
- Arch of Constantine (Arco di Costantino)
- Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Arch of Titus (Arco di Tito)