Sant'Angelo Bridge (Ponte Sant'Angelo)
Ponte Sant'Angelo, or the Sant'Angelo Bridge, was built by Roman emperor Hadrian to access his mausoleum and was originally named Pons Aelius, or the Bridge of Hadrian. Legend holds that the archangel Michael appeared on top of the mausoleum in 590, ending an outbreak of the plague; to mark that miracle, Hadrian's tomb and adjacent bridge were renamed Sant'Angelo.
This ancient Roman bridge is one of the most popular spots in Rome for its scenic views, and a must-see during any walking, bike, or Vespa scooter tour of the Eternal City. Especially beautiful at night, Ponte Sant'Angelo is an unforgettably romantic stop during a Rome-by-night private excursion.
Things to Know Before You Go
Ponte Sant'Angelo links the pedestrian-only Lungotevere Castello river walk on the Castello Sant'Angelo side of the Tiber to the neighborhoods of Ponte and Borgo, two of the most historic quarters of Rome, on the opposite bank.
The bridge is crowded during the day and late into the night with visitors snapping pictures, buskers and artists, and street vendors.
The cobblestoned bridge is flat and easy to navigate with wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
The 64 bus runs from the Termini train station to Castel Sant'Angelo, or you can walk from the Vatican.
When to Get There
The bridge is known for its great views, so visit in the early morning or late afternoon for the best light if you are interested in taking photos.
Ponte Sant'Angelo and the Vatican
Ponte Sant'Angelo is just a short walk from St. Peter's Basilica, and has been used by religious pilgrims on their final stretch to the Vatican for centuries. If you are planning on visiting the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, consider taking the scenic walk across this bridge for an unforgettable approach.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Tiber River (Fiume Tevere)
- Saint Angelo Bridge Methodist Church (Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Experience Museum (Museo Leonardo Da Vinci Experience)
- Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
- Chiesa Nuova (Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella)
- Church of Santa Maria della Pace (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pace)
- Stadium of Domitian (Stadio di Domiziano)
- Palazzo Altemps
- Basilica di Sant'Agostino
- Via Cola di Rienzo
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone)
- Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana delle Quattro Fiumi)
- Piazza Navona
- Welcome to Rome
- Gladiator Museum