Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges Park
While it’s possible to visit Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges on your own, since the winding paths are well-marked, it’s recommended to go on a guided adventure led by a local naturalist who will point out birds, plants, and animals such as monkeys and sloths you would otherwise miss. Some of the 16 bridges are suspended high above gorges and others stretch far across jungle floors. Four trail options (main trail, waterfall trail, accessible trail, bird-watching) help make the park feel less crowded and allow you to choose your way according to physical abilities and interest.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges is an ideal place for lovers of wildlife and natural landscapes.
- Entrance fee is required.
- Tickets are discounted for students and free for children.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the jungle, including long sleeves and pants.
- Open-toe shoes and sandals are not permitted.
- Do not stray off the path or seek close interaction with wildlife.
- Reservations are required.
- Bring water, sun protection, and insect repellent.
How to Get There
Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges is located in Alajuela Province of Costa Rica, about a 3-hour drive from San José and about 12 miles (20 kilometers) east of La Fortuna. The entrance is next to the dam wall of Lake Arenal. Most travelers arrive as part of a tour, by car,xa0or by taxi—bus transportation is not reliable. If taking a taxi, arrange your return beforehand.
When to Get There
The park is open daily from early morning until the late afternoon. Peak season in Costa Rica is from mid-December to April during the dry season. During the rainy season, from May through November, the paths may be a bit muddy, though there’s the added benefit of seeing the jungle at its most green and wildlife at their most abundant and active.
Attractions Nearby Beyond the hiking paths into the jungle and the hanging bridges, Mistico Arenal Hanging Bridges offers a horseback riding tour and a canyoning tour. If you have the time to explore stay to the west of La Fortuna and venture to neighboring attractions such as the Arenal Volcano National Park, the 1968 Trail, the Silencio Trail, the Arenal Sky Adventures Park, and the gorgeous natural hot springs there.
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Arenal Volcano National Park
- Poas Volcano National Park
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)
- Turu Ba Ri Tropical Park
- Rescate Animal Zooave
- Sarapiqui Canopy
- La Sabana Park
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)