Santa Cruz is the axis of many popular tours, including those that explore the city’s multicultural history, spanning its Muslim and Jewish roots. In addition to the palace and cathedral, don’t miss Callejon del Agua, the baroque Hospital of the Venerables, and Archivo de Indias, which includes documents from Spain’s voyages to the New World. You might also be interested in sampling the area’s famous tapas or enjoying a live flamenco performance. Save time by booking a tour that allows you to skip the line for popular attractions such as the Real Alcázar and Catedral de Sevilla.
Recent reviews from experiences in Seville
Things to Know Before You Go
The Santa Cruz District is a must-see area of Seville, particularly for travelers with an interest in culture and history.
Budget time to visit a few tapas bars and sample the unique flavors of Andalucia.
How to Get There
Barrio de Santa Cruz is bordered by Jardines de Murillo, Reál Alcázar, and the streets Mateas Gago and Santa Maria la Blanca/San José. It’s best to avoid driving in the city’s historic center. Exploring the area by foot is ideal, or you can rent a bike. You can also take a hop-on hop-off bus, or take the local city line to Plaza de La Contratación.
When to Get There
If you are visiting the main attractions, plan to come first thing in the morning or late in the afternoon for lighter crowds. Avoid visiting on Sundays, when most shops and restaurants are closed. Shops close for siesta from about 2pm to 5pm, while bars and restaurants take a break from about 4pm until 8pm or 9pm.
“Romeo, Romeo …”
Plaza Alfaro, one of many picturesque and romantic locations in Santa Cruz, contains a balcony that is said to have inspired William Shakespeare for the quintessential scene in his epic tragedy,Romeo and Juliet. Some say this is merely romantic lore (there’s no proof Shakespeare ever left England); others are sticking to the story. In any case, look up for inspiration.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Hospital de los Venerables
- Royal Alcázar of Seville (Real Alcázar de Sevilla)
- Casa de la Guitarra
- Los Gallos Tablao Flamenco
- Barrio Santa Cruz
- The Giralda (El Giraldillo)
- General Archive of the Indies (Archivo General de Indias)
- Aire Ancient Baths Sevilla
- Seville Cathedral (Catedral de Santa María de la Sede)
- Royal Tobacco Factory (Real Fábrica de Tabacos)
- Flamenco Dance Museum (Museo del Baile Flamenco)
- Palace of San Telmo (Palacio de San Telmo)
- El Arenal District
- Torre del Oro
- Church of the Divine Savior (Iglesia del Salvador)